“This generation of Americans has come to realize, with a present and personal realization, that there is something larger and more important than the life of any individual or of any individual group – something for which a man will sacrifice, and gladly sacrifice, not only his pleasures, not only his goods, not only his associations with those he loves, but his life itself. In time of crisis when the future is in the balance, we come to understand, with full recognition and devotion, what this nation is, and what we owe to it.”
~ President Franklin D. Roosevelt, in his Message to the American People (sometimes referred to as “The Map Speech”); February 23, 1942
25 FEB 1926
On this date, U.S. Navy World War II Veteran and IL Alpha Brother Walter William Rust was born in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Walt served in the U.S. Navy as a radioman aboard the escort aircraft carrier USS Puget Sound (CVE-113) in the South Pacific, and as such was aboard the ship when it entered Tokyo Bay 14 OCT 1945.
26 FEB 1933
NE Beta Brother and First Lieutenant Paul Edgar Fesler, U.S. Air Force was born on this date.
25 FEB 1946
U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary Veteran and TN Beta Brother Fred Avil Allen III was born on this date.
20 FEB 1992
Gone but never forgotten. NY Eta Brother and First Lieutenant Michael T. Morrisey, U.S. Army Reserve died on this date after being struck by a drunk driver while jogging near his home in Grand Island, New York.
Born in Rochester, NY, he graduated from Grand Island High School, where he was captain of the varsity swim team. While attending Buffalo State College, Mike pledged SigEp, and was very active in the fraternity while also excelling in the ROTC Program at Canisius College.
In memory of Michael, his family set up scholarship funds at Buffalo State College, Canisius College and Geneseo State College. As of 2003, Ninety students have benefited from the generosity of the Morrisey family and other donors.Respect can be paid to Brother Morrisey at St. Stephen's Cemetery on Grand Island.
23 FEB 2008
World War II Veteran PA Delta Brother Sergeant John Metcalf Bickelhaupt, U.S. Army Air Corps died on this date in Saratoga Springs, New York. During WWII, Brother Bickelhaupt served as a pilot and was stationed in the Pacific. After the war, John attended Penn where he was president of the senior class.
Respect can be paid to Brother Bickelhaupt at Greenridge Cemetery in Saratoga Springs.
23 FEB 2010
VT Alpha Brother, Maine State Senator and First Lieutenant David Lee Carpenter, U.S. Army Reserve died on this date in Springvale, Maine at the age of 75. Dave was born in Boston, MA, graduated from Needham High School, and received a degree in business administration from Norwich. While at Norwich, Dave was a member of the Outing Club and was a brother in Sigma Phi Epsilon and Alpha Eta Rho. He was also a member of the drill team. Dave served in the Army Reserves as a first lieutenant. He was a co-owner of C&C/Taylor Rental from the late sixties to the mid-seventies when he became a real estate broker with Davis Real Estate, and later owned Carpenter Realty. He was a former member of the Rotary Club and served on the YMCA and Dollars for Scholars boards. Dave ran for the Maine State Senate in 1988 and worked in that capacity for 12 years. The Utilities Committee, State and Local Government and the Inland Fisheries and Wildlife Committee were all part of his duties in the Maine State Senate.
A year ago -
* On 22 FEB 2011, U.S Coast Guard Fireman and FL Zeta Brother Tristan Scott McMorran began his patriotic military. Currently, Brother McMorran is serving aboard the Coast Guard Cutter Harriet Lane (WMEC 903) home ported in Portsmouth, VA.
* A year ago this week, CA Beta Beta Brother and U.S. Air Force ROTC Cadet Bryan Ferrell learned that he had obtained a seat for USAF Flight Training. Brother Ferrell is on track to graduate from the University of San Diego this spring, and after receiving his commission in June he will be assigned to Vance, Air Force Base to begin his flight training.
* CA Theta Brother, Operation IRAQI FREEDOM Veteran and First Lieutenant Adam Wilson, U.S. Army has been very busy since graduating from the Artillery Officer’s school at Ft. Sill about a year ago. He was promoted to First Lieutenant, successfully earning his tab at Ranger School at Ft. Benning, and deployed to and returned from Iraq – for which he was awarded a Bronze Star.
RECENT LOSSES TO THE ROLL
* Korean War Veteran and CA Beta Brother Captain Glen Chase Ware, U.S. Air Force passed away 17 FEB in The Woodlands, Texas at the age of 83.
* U.S. Army Vietnam War Veteran and FL Gamma Brother Dana Blake Jr also passed away on 17 FEB at the age of 69 in Gloucester, Massachusetts. Brother Blake served from 1967 to 1969.
* U.S. Army Vietnam War Veteran and OH Mu Brother Tom Howard Martindale passed away recently in Tucson, AZ. His obituary did not state a date.
* World War II Veteran, UT Alpha Brother and Lieutenant Colonel Junius Wells Robins, U.S. Marine Corps Reserve (Retired) passed away 21 FEB 2012 at the age of 92. Brother Robins served honorably as a U.S. Marine Corps Artillery Officer in the Pacific in World War II and stayed in the Active Reserves until 1975.
As always, our thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends of these Brothers, and the SigEp Patriots Project pledges that their service to the Nation will never be forgotten.
UPDATE: SIGEP PATRIOTS PROJECT (SPP)
* SPP now has the names of more than 1,110 SigEp Patriots who serve/served in the U.S. military!
* The SPP leadership ranks continue to grow. SPP would like to welcome the following points of contact that work with SPP to increase the historical holdings of their respective chapters as well as the SPP archives:
#16 – CA Gamma AVC President Brother Scott Carr, #17 – CA Theta Brother and Corporal in the California National Guard Frank Beardsley, and #18 – U.S. Navy Veteran and TX Chi Brother Thurman Walling. Just drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in serving as a chapter POC.
* The official SPP Facebook group is closing in on 440 SigEp Patriots with the addition of the following Brothers:
PA Gamma Brother and Navy ROTC Cadet Charles Brand, OH Gamma Brother Oliver J. Mitchell, CA Theta Brother and U.S. Marine Corps Reserve Lance Corporal Matt Buelow, OH Pi Brother and Air National Guard Veteran Brad Badgley, U.S. Navy Veteran and TX Chi Brother Thurman Walling, and MD Zeta Brother and U.S. Navy Aviator Ryan Hunt.
Welcome Brothers! To join the group, go to http://www.facebook.com/groups/sigepswhoserve. Not on Facebook? Join our listserve by sending an email to email@example.com. You will be asked to provide your military affiliation and home chapter.
Fraternally and Respectfully,
Brother Ed Jones, NY Eta ‘96
Chief Petty Officer, U.S. Navy Reserve
Founder, SigEp Patriots Project
Sunday, February 26, 2012
This Week in SigEp Patriot History, 20 – 26 FEB
This Week in SigEp Patriot History, 20 – 26 FEB
CA Beta Beta|CA Theta|FL Zeta|IL Alpha|Korean War|NY Eta|Operation IRAQI FREEDOM|PA Delta|SigEp Patriots Project|TX Chi|UT Alpha|Vietnam War|WWII|