The Sigma Phi Epsilon Educational Foundation is pleased to announce the 2008 National Competition Scholars and we would also like to announce the call for applications for the 2008 Thomas O. Hicks Scholarships for academic improvement.
National Competition Scholars
The 20 National Competition Scholarship recipients are examples of SigEp's status as a valued partner in higher education. Their accomplishments in the classroom, on campus, in the community, and in their chapters represent the best of our 14,000 students on campuses across the United States. This year's recipients are:
- Spenser John Cassinelli - University of Nevada-Reno
- Owen Z. McCarthy - University of Maine
- Joseph Cain Curtis - Tri-State University
- Brian Alan Mead - University of Iowa
- Patrick Thomas Gaston - Rider University
- Christopher Jorge Ojeda - Christopher Newport University
- Michael David Giacalone - University of Rhode Island
- Alexander Marmon Rak - Bradley University
- Clay Phillip Gleb - Pepperdine University
- Kyle Edward Rodenbach - Johns Hopkins University
- Adam Benjamin Greer - Oklahoma State University
- Michael Bradley Schwartzman - Yale University
- Jason David Hartman - Texas Christian University
- Benjamin Solarz - Yale University
- Caleb Brandon Leake - Pepperdine University
- Richard Zack Speyer - Washington University in St. Louis
- Matthew Edward Lee - University of Oklahoma
- Villy Stolper - University of South Carolina
- Christopher James MacLellan - University of Wyoming
- Russell Stevens Terry - University of Alabama
Every year the competition for these $1,000 scholarships increases. Selecting these balanced leaders from hundreds of applications from our best and brightest undergraduates was a challenge. As the fraternity with the highest overall grade point average and programming committed to campus leadership and community service, thousands of SigEps have similar credentials. Please join us in congratulating these men on their accomplishments.
Thomas O. Hicks Scholarships
Annually, the Thomas O. Hicks Scholarships for academic improvement are awarded to SigEps who make a significant increase in grade point average in their sophomore year as compared to their freshman year. This year, up to 10 scholarships will be awarded with at least one for a Brother from Brother Hicks' home chapter, Texas Alpha. Each scholarship is $2,000.
Brother Hicks (Texas '68) set up these scholarships to recognize the Fraternity's role in helping him improve his GPA as an undergraduate, putting him on a path to further success in college and in life. Brother Hicks is Chairman of Hicks Holdings LLC and is the owner of the Texas Rangers, Dallas Stars and Liverpool FC. His son Bradley recently graduated from the University of Texas after serving as chapter president.
The qualification is significant improvement in the GPA of the sophomore year as compared to the freshman year. All applications showing improvement will be considered. Applications are due October 20th; online applications are taken here
Applicants must send freshman and sophomore year transcripts to: Sigma Phi Epsilon Educational FoundationAttn: Hicks ScholarshipsP.O. Box 1901Richmond, Virginia 23218-1901 Questions: Call 804-421-GPA1 (4721)